| EJGE/Magazine iGEM Article
Oklahoma is OK
...but it sure is a funny place!
by Mete Oner
- Hunter, OK is a very small town with a population of just 173 (at the 2000 census).
It greets the visitors with a smiley face (made on a hay bale).
- Canton, OK is another small town, but it does have a Grand hotel.
- Vinita, OK is the small town where the World's Largest McDonald's is located.
- Largest driller statue in the world, called "The Golden Driller" is in Tulsa, OK.
- Jenks, OK hosts the largest statue of a couple of hands in the world (ORU campus).
- Here is another hand statue--not only this can't compete with ORU hands, it's not even clear what he wants--
(Stop, gimme all'yr money! maybe?):
- A small bell of no particular significance is honored by a monumental structure in Tulsa, OK (TU campus).
- A car was buried in the ground in Tulsa, OK: Plymouth Belvedere 1957 - Unearthed June 15 2007.
No reason was given for either burying nor unearthing it. I bet they thought it was fun.
- Coin-operated parking meters are now so common everywhere in the world---once there was none; it was invented about a century ago, in Stillwater, OK
- Drive-in (and eat in your car) way of dining was invented in Stillwater, OK
- The soils are so bad in Oklahoma that roads need to be rebuilt or re-surfaced twice a year, or made in Reinforced concrete--and re-done only once a year. They must be doing it for the fun of it.
- The concept of an Internet-based "Electronic Journal" was invented in Stillwater, OK
Yes, EJGE is the first of its kind.
(Bouquet papers) (regular papers)
- The people in Stillwater, OK (see sample below) are nearly 100% "caucasian" (the funny way of saying "white")--there are a few blacks; I know all of them--all five of them.
Now just look at these women in the middle row above: the white woman on the left made her naturally straight hair curly, while the black woman on the right straightened out her naturally curly hair. Go figure!
And look at this poor guy--he seems to be the only one not having any fun! Why do you think that is?
Here is a multiple-choice test for you:
1-He is married to the woman to his left, but likes the one to his right.
2-He is thinking "how do I get out of here before they make me wash the dishes?"
3-He has weird-looking teeth, so tries not to show them.
4-He is actually gay.
© Copyright Mete Oner, 2009