| EJGE/Magazine iGEM Article
Oklahoma is OK
But it sure is a funny place!
by Mete Oner
- Hunter, OK is a town with a population of 173 (at the 2000 census).
It greets the visitors with a smiley face (made on a hay bale):
- Canton, OK is another small town, but it does have a Grand hotel:
- Vinita, OK is the small town where the World's Largest McDonald's is located:
- Largest driller statue in the world, called "The Golden Driller" is in Tulsa, OK:
- Jenks, OK hosts the largest statue of a couple of hands in the world (ORU campus):
- Not only this guy can't compete with ORU hands, it's not even clear what he means (Stop, gimme all'yr money! maybe?):
- A small bell of no particular significance is honored by a statue in Tulsa, OK (TU campus):
- A car was buried in the ground in Tulsa, OK: Plymouth Belvedere 1957 - Unearthed June 15 2007.
There was no good reason for either burying nor unearthing it. They thought it was fun:
- Coin-operated parking meters are now so common everywhere in the world---once there was none; it was invented about a century ago, in Stillwater, OK:
- Drive-in (and eat in your car) way of dining was invented in Stillwater, OK:
- The soils are so bad in Oklahoma that roads need to be rebuilt/re-surfaced twice a year, or made in Reinforced concrete--and re-done every other year:
- The concept of an Internet-based "Electronic Journal" was invented in Stillwater, OK (Yes, EJGE is the first one):
(Bouquet papers) (regular papers)
- The people in Stillwater, OK (see sample below) are nearly 100% "caucasian" (the American funny way of saying "white")—there are a few blacks; I know all of them—all five of them.
Now just look at these women in the middle row above: the white woman made her naturally straight hair curly, while the black woman, who has a naturally curly hair, who knows why, straightened it out—Women!!!
© Copyright Mete Oner, 2009